- Ph.D., 1975, Electrical Engineering/Telecommunication theory, “Topics in probabilistic coding and modulation”. Advisors: James L. Massey and Göran Einarsson.
- Docent, 1975
- Professor in Information Theory since 1986.
- University lecturer, 1976–85.
- Department chairman, 1976–2002.
- Dean of the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, 1988–93.
- Fellow of the IEEE, 1998.
- Professor, honoris causa, Russian Academy of Sciences, 2000.
- In 2005, the book “Understanding Information Transmission” by John B. Anderson
and Rolf Johannesson was chosen by the American Library Association’s
Choice Editors as “Outstanding Academic Title – The Best of the Best in Published Scholarship”.
- Elected member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences, 2006.
Principle supervisor for the following Ph.D. students
- Bertil Svensson 1983
- Christer Fernström 1983
- Ivan Kruzela 1983
- Mats Cedervall 1983
- Ben Smeets 1987
- Harro Osthoff 1993
- Johan Nyström 1993
- Gunilla Bratt 1994
- Joakim Persson 1996
- Emma Wittenmark 1998
- Stefan Höst 1999
- Per Ståhl 2001
- Marc Handlery 2002
- Victor Pavlushkov 2005
- Maja Lončar 2007