Universitetslektor, TeknD, Docent
Anders Ardö has a background in Computer Systems with a PhD from
Lund University in 1986. From 1979 to 1986, he held various teaching
and research positions in the Department of Computer Engineering at
Lund University. During 1986 - 1994 he held a position as
Associate Professor in Computer Engineering. Since 1992 AA is working
with researching and developing digital library services first at
Lund University Library, development department (NetLab), then
at the Technical Knowledge Center & Library of Denmark (DTV) and now at
Dept. of Electrical and Information Technology, Lund University.
AA founded NetLab 1992 and was department head until 1996. During this
time NetLab grew from 2 to 10 persons and marked itself as one of the
internationally leading development laboratories within the emerging
field ``digital libraries''.
From 1996 to 2002 AA was Head of research and Scientist at DTV
development department, which matches NetLab's strong position
Now AA is back as Associate Professor and Docent at department of Electrical and Information Technology,
where he is managing the Knowledge Discovery
and Digital Library Research Group (KnowLib).
He is and have been involved in a number of European Union and
national projects, focusing on distributed computer systems for
information discovery and retrieval.
AA have some 90 scientific and other publications.
His main areas of interest are digital library development;
parallel/distributed computing; focused Web crawling; advanced methods
for information discovery and retrieval; and automatic subject
|MSc (Filosofie Magister)
|Teachers Exam (ämneslärarlinjen)
||School of Education, Malmö
|Licentiate in Engineering (Teknologie licenciat)
|PhD (Teknologie doktor), Computer Engineering
||Dept. of Clinical Neurophysiology,
||1974 - 1978
||Audio Pro AB
||1977 - 1980
|Active at Dept. of Computer Engineering,
Lund University 1979 - 1994.
|Technician, Research assistant
||1980 - 1986
|Visiting Scientist at Dept. of Computer Science,
Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA during the academic year 81/82.
|Acting associate professor
||1983 - 1984
||1986 - 1994
|Active at Lund University Library 1992-1998.
|Department Head, NetLab
||1994-05-16 - 1996-11-30
|Project leader, NetLab (part time)
||1996-12-01 - 1998-12-31
|Active at Technical Knowledge Center and Library of Denmark (DTV) 1996-2003.
|Head of Research,
||Technical Knowledge Center
||and Library of Denmark (DTV)
|Project Leader (part time)
||2002-02-01 - 2002-12-31
|Active at Dept. of Information Technology and Dept. of Electrical and Information Technology, Lund University 2002-present.
||2002-02-01 - present
||2005-12-08 - present
- Editor for DDC Ada Compiler Retargeters Group Newsletter 1985 - 1988.
- Member of the board of Ada in Sweden 1986 - 1988.
- Member of a governmental review group for the new computer
architecture 8601, proposed by Gunnar Carlstedt, 1987 - 1990.
- Member of the Swedish review group for revision of Ada (Ada9X)
1988 - 1990.
- Member of ``Nordic Forum for Networked Information'' 1993 - 1996
- Member of ``Nordic Centre of Excellence for the usage of
Networked Information Services'' 1995 - 1997.
- Member of the IT-structure expert group for the new university in Malmö, 1996
- Member of DanZIG, the Danish expert group for Z39.50, 1997 - 1999
- Member of the Program Committee for Electronic 99 Publishing, ICCC/IFP Conference, 1999
- Member of DEF (Denmark's Electronic Research Library) portal design group, 1999 - 2000
- Panel Chair
of the Seventh European Conference on Research and Advanced
Technology for Digital Libraries , ECDL 2003, August 17-22, 2003,
- Member of the Programme Committee
of the Eighth European Conference
on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries , ECDL 2004,
September 12-17, 2004, University of Bath, UK.
- Invited expert at the Findungscommission workshop about reorganizing Institut für Bibliothekswissenschaft,
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, August 9-10, 2004, Berlin, Germany.
- Member of the Programme Committee
of the 9th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries,
September 18-23, 2005 Vienna, Austria.
- Member of the Programme Committee of the 10th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries,
September 2006 Alicante, Spain.
- Member of the Organizing Committee for The Fourth Swedish Language Technology Conference, SLTC 2012,
October, 2012, Lund, Sweden
- Member of the Programme Committee of Hybrid 2012 - Innovative Hybrid Approaches to the Processing of
Textual Data, EACL 2012 Workshop April, 2012, Avignon, France
Selected Master's thesis supervised
- Marcus Svensson, ``Replaceable Graphical User Interfaces for Mobile
Devices'', Department of Information Technology, Lund University, 2003
- Brian Olsson, ``Performance Measurement of a Distributed Files
System in a Linux Cluster'', Department of Information Technology, Lund
University, 2003 - 2004.
- Andreas Gryparis, ``An extensible Linux cluster monitoring
system'', Department of Information Technology, Lund University, 2004.
- Alberto Tentori, ``Concerted Information Management in a Virtual
Library'', Department of Information Technology, Lund University, 2004
- Rafael Romero Trujillo, ``Simulation tool to study focused web
crawling strategies'', Department of Information Technology, Lund
University, 2005 - 2006.
- Olof Friman, ``Home Page Detection'', Department of Electro and Information Technology, Lund University, 2007.
- Ignacio Garcia Dorado, `Focused Crawling: Algorithm Survey and new Approaches with a Manual Analysis`,
Department of Electro and Information Technology, Lund University, 2007
- Andreas Helgegren, "Intern webbased informationsystem for companys". In
cooperation with Lundalogik. Nov, 2008.
Gustaf Lundh, "Researching and developing an efficient logging analysis
tool". In cooperation with Sony-Ericsson. Oct, 2009.
Jia Cherng Ho, Jia Wei Ho, "3D Visualization of News Using Topic
Detection and Personalization on Mobile Phones". In cooperation with
TAT. Aug, 2010.
Jonathan Persson, "Design and Implementation of an Auto Complete
Algorithm for E-Commerce". In cooperation with Apptus Technologies. Nov,
Fredrik Persson, Tobias Svahn, "Mobile Meteorological Measurements". Jan, 2011.
Albert Moreno, Sergi Collado, "Integration and Verification of Mobile
Meteorological Measurements". Feb, 2011.
Jonas Hansson, Niklas Eklund, "Assessment of OpenCL software
development for GPGPU". In cooperation with AXIS. Feb, 2011.
Babak Razavi, Siddhartha Pattni, "Sökmotorlösning för e-handel". In cooperation with Avensia. Jun, 2011.
Joakim Andersson, Mattias Jernberg, "Human Understandable Data
Communication". Sep, 2011.
Robert Toth, "Selection of Negative Examples for Training an SVM
classier". In cooperation with EntireWeb Sweden AB. Nov, 2011.
- Jochen Hollman, Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
Chalmers University of Technology (together with Prof. Per Stenström),
2000 - 2002
- Koraljka Golub, Department of Information Technology, Lund University, 2003 - 2007.
Major Projects and activities
- Projects with EU-funding.
Gateway for Information Retrieval Protocols. (1993 - 1996)
- Development of a European Service for Information on Research
and Education. Resource description, Metadata, Indexing,
Discovery and Retrieval. (1996 - 1998), task leader
- virtual union catalogues for libraries. (1996 - 1999), task leader
- Generic Architecture for Information Availability, to support
electronic brokerage. (1996 - 1998), task leader
- European Libraries and Electronic Resources
in Mathematical Sciences. (1998 - 2000)
- follow up to DESIRE (1998 - 2000), task leader
- developing a broker for an integrated European subject access service (2000 - 2002), task leader
- E-Culture Net
- European Network of Centres of Excellence for Research and Education in Digital Culture (2002 - 2003)
- ALVIS - Superpeer Semantic Search Engine , task leader, (2004 - 2006), funded as EU project IST-1-002068-STP by EU's Sixth Framework Programme.
- DELOS Network of Excellence on Digital Libraries , (2003 - 2007),
funded by EU's Sixth Framework Programme.
- Test och utveckling av informationssökning med WAIS (1992-1993), project leader. Funded by BIBSAM.
- Nordic WAIS/World Wide Web Project (1993-1994), project leader. Funded by NORDINFO.
- Länkskafferiet (1995 - ) , project leader to 1996. Funded by Swedish government (Skolverket).
- Isaac II - A PERSONAL ASSISTANT FOR THE DIFFERENTLY ABLED. (1996 - 1997), project leader. Funded by CERTEC, Lund University.
- Nordic Web Index
a collaborative effort across the Nordic countries, providing a free
regional Web search engine. (1996 - 1999), project leader. Funded by
- DADS - Electronic Fulltext Journals (1997 - 2000) (DTV), project leader, design and development. Several funding sources.
- DEF portal
(1999 - 2000), technical project leader. Funded by Danish government (DEF).
- Cross searching of SBIGs
(1999 - 2000), project leader. Funded by NORDINFO.
- DEF fagportal (SBIG) toolkit (2000), project leader. Funded by Danish government (DEF).
- Networked implementation of a distributed electronic journal collection and full
text archive (DACAPO, )
(2000 - 2002), project leader. Funded by NORDUNET 2.
an automatic subject portal for materials science, (2002 - 2003), task leader. Funded by Danish government (DEF).
- Effektiv implementering av komponenter till ett digitalt
bibliotek på en parallelldator (2002 - 2003), project leader. Funded by
- Intelligent Components of a
Distributed Digital Library
(2002 - 2005), project leader. Funded by VINNOVA, Swedish Agency for
- Vertical search engines, head, 2008-09-01 - 2009-06-30